Baltimore Truck Accident Lawyers: Steps Truck Drivers Can Take to Prevent Serious AccidentsOctober 19, 2016
Most truck accidents can be avoided if drivers take the proper precautions. Doing so can save thousands of dollars in damage, and prevent serious, sometimes fatal injuries from occurring. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, approximately 3,400 people lost their lives in truck accidents in 2010, an increase of eight percent from 2009. To help spread awareness, Baltimore truck accident lawyers report on the Department of Transportation’s top 10 causes of truck accidents:
- Driver fatigue
- Debris on highways
- Read-ending a stopped vehicle
- Driving off the side of the road
- Poor road conditions caused by inclement weather or road maintenance
- Loss of control
- Mechanical failure
- Unsecured cargo
- Drifting in and out of lanes
Truck Accidents Affect the Bottom Line
The costs associated with truck accidents can be astronomical, including damage to the vehicles, inventory loss, insurance costs, and the medical costs associated with the accident. The average fatal truck accident can cost over $3 million, compared to non-fatal crashes that cost approximately $62,000. Truck drivers can reduce the number of wrecks by following these safety tips:
- Do not exceed the speed limit and remember to slow down gradually when approaching a work zone.
- Do not drive while drowsy. If necessary, pull over and take a nap. Staying hydrated and eating a healthy diet can also help alleviate fatigue.
- Stay alert and watch for debris in the road. Maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you.
- Avoid drivers that are drifting in and out of lanes.
- When changing lanes, always use your turn signal and give yourself ample time to change lanes. Make sure to check your blind spots.
- Check weather conditions so that you are prepared for possible snow, ice, heavy winds, or rain.
- Avoid distractions like taking on the phone, eating, checking directions, or texting while driving.
Baltimore Truck Accident Lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton Seek Maximum Compensation for Truck Accident Victims
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a truck accident in Maryland, you need a skilled legal team to protect your rights and help you win the compensation you deserve. Baltimore truck accident lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton are on your side and will not stop fighting on your behalf until justice has been served. For a free consultation, call us today at 800-547-4LAW (4529) or contact us online.
Our offices are located in Baltimore, Columbia, Glen Burnie, and Towson, allowing us to represent clients throughout Maryland, including those in Anne Arundel County, Carroll County, Harford County, Howard County, Montgomery County, Maryland’s Western Counties, Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore, as well as the communities of Catonsville, Essex, Halethorpe, Middle River, Rosedale, Gwynn Oak, Brooklandville, Dundalk, Pikesville, Parkville, Nottingham, Windsor Mill, Lutherville, Timonium, Sparrows Point, Ridgewood, and Elkridge.